Information for Injured Students

When confronted with a serious injury which interferes with academic life, it is important that students communicate directly with campus resources which can help.  The professionals at the Office of Victim Assistance (303-492-8855) can work with injured students and their families to do an assessment of the injured student’s needs, and to work out the development of a plan which can address those needs.  We are staffed by counselors who are familiar with the resources at CU-Boulder campus and in the Boulder community.  We are also familiar with the kinds of issues and needs that serious injuries often present.  We can talk with you about your situation, assess your needs (academic, physical and emotional), and work in collaboration with other on- and off-campus resources in helping to address those needs. College success assumes high energy levels, ongoing productivity, and sustained effort.  A serious injury can interfere with a student’s ability to attend classes and to fully participate in the rigors of academic life.  This extra set of challenges can often disadvantage the injured student in the academic environment in which they live.

Because each situation is unique, Victim Assistance staff will help create an individualized plan for your recovery strategies.  The decision regarding whether or not to stay in school after a serious injury is difficult and complex.  Factors which need to be considered include the nature of your injury, the timing within the academic semester, your current academic performance, the extent of physical and emotional difficulties, and recommendations from “experts” on your condition and its impact on your academic performance.

Listed below are some questions, intended as a checklist, which may be helpful to you if you find yourself in a situation where serious injury interferes with your academic performance.


  • If there is impact on your academic work or your ability to be in class, contact your professors to notify them of your injuries and the scope of the limitations resulting from them.  Victim Assistance can assist with this.
  • Communicate clearly to your professors what your medical or subsequent limitations are and for how long they are anticipated to last.
  • Discuss missed classes and assignments with your instructors.
  • See if friends or acquaintances in the class(es) may be able to help you by supplying notes for the classes you missed.  See if they can assist you by asking for a volunteer in your class to share their notes with you.
  • Call the Dean of Students office or the Office of Victim Assistance if you have had difficulty connecting with your professors.
  • Get medical documentation of your injury that you can provide if needed
  • Be aware of academic semester timelines. (   If it is past the deadline to withdraw you may need to contact the Dean’s office or your academic advisor for assistance.
  • Determine whether or not academic support services are needed.
  • If your injury has caused a disability, contact Disability Services (303-492-8671).  Here is some information on their website for students who have temporary medical conditions including injury:
  • If tutoring is necessary, contact department offices to find extra support in catching up.  If you live in a residence hall and need tutoring, contact the tutors there.
  • Consider any of the following as a means of coping with the long-term effects of your injury:
  • Determine whether tuition classification/residency status is affected by your injury.

Mobility and Access (if applicable):

  • If your mobility has been impacted, determine how you will get around campus.
  • Consider:
    • getting to campus
    • getting to your classes
    • getting into your classrooms
    • how long it will take you to get across campus
  • Consider mobility aids, such as a power wheelchair or scooter.  For full list of rentals click here
  • Talk to your insurance agency regarding transportation or mobility assistance.
  • Explore the informal supports of friends and other support people for assistance with transportation and mobility.
  • Check community resources like the HopParking ServicesRTD, or Special Transit.
  • Be aware that you, or a friend providing you transportation, may be eligible for a parking permit that will get you closer to your classes.  To get a handicapped placard, you will need to secure it from the DMV with appropriate medical documentation.  Call Parking and Transportation Services at 303-492-1220 for more information.

Financial Concerns:

  • If you are on financial aid, contact the Financial Aid Office at 303-492-5091 to notify them of your situation, or to discuss ramifications to your aid with respect to pertinent timelines.   .
  • Discuss with them whether or not there are financial consequences related to various decisions about your academic options.
  • If you need to drop classes or withdraw, contact the Bursar’s Office (303-492-7496) for more information regarding possible financial reimbursement.
  • Be aware that withdrawals (or the Time Out Program) are processed through the Office of the Registrar (


  • If you live in a Residence Hall, inform your RA or Hall Director of your situation.
  • If you are planning to leave the residence halls, complete proper procedures.
  • If you are returning to the residence halls and have special needs, consider how you will meet those challenges.

Taking Time Out from School:

Campus Resources:

Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs/Dean of Students – Center for Community S430 – 303-492-8476

Center for Multicultural Affairs – Center for Community N320 – 303-492-5666

Counseling and Psychological Services – Center for Community S440 – 303-492-6766

Disability Services – Center for Community N200 – 303-492-8671

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center – Center for Community N450 – 303-492-1377

Office of International Education – Center for Community S355 -- 303-492-6016

Office of Parent Relations – Center for Community N460 – 303-492-1380

Office of Victim Assistance – Center for Community S440 – 303-492-8855

Psychological Health and Psychiatry – Wardenburg Health Center – 303-492-5654

Women’s Resource Center – UMC 419 – 303-492-5713

Off-Campus Resources:

Boulder Community Hospital – Mapleton Rehabilitation Center – 311 Mapleton Ave. – 303-440-2273

To return to the Office of Victim Assistance main page on accidents click here