Domestic violence, also known as intimate partner abuse, is best understood as:
- a pattern of abusive behaviors–including physical, sexual, and psychological abuse as well as economic coercion–used by one intimate partner against another to gain, maintain, or regain power and control in the relationship.
- Abusers use of a range of tactics to frighten, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, and or injure a current or former intimate partner.
- Domestic violence can happen to anyone, regardless of sex, age, race, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.
- If you are concerned about a relationship you are in or have been, or if you are concerned about a friend’s relationship please contact CU’s Office of Victim Assistance, email or call 303-492-8855.
2016 Events for DV awareness month:
- 3rd Annual Race Against Domestic Violence 5K run/walk, Saturday, October 1st at 9am- Co-hosted by Safe Shelter of St. Vrain Valley and LEVI (Longmont Ending Violence Initiative). Proceeds from this annual, all-ages family event will benefit victims of domestic violence and their families. www.racemenu.com/radv5k
- Take Back the Night week, Oct 10-14, hosted by Sigma Psi Zeta, more info click here
- Social Justice Counseling Workshop, Thursday, October 13, 5:30 - 7:00pm Social Justice Counseling is a tool for promoting human development and the common good through the use of counseling as a mechanism of social change. To reserve your space contact: email@example.com
- Conversation Circles, October 20th, 5pm, CUE lounge in the C4C, 3rd floor. OVA, CAPS, and CUE staff will be leading a conversation circles on intimate partner abuse and relationships in communities of color.
- SPAN’s (Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Non-violence) first annual Hear Our Voices Project A collaboration with The Naropa Community Art Studio. For more info visit: http://www.safehousealliance.org/events/you-are-invited-to-hov-events-in-lafayette-boulder/
For more resources:
- The Office of Victim Assistance Intimate Partner Abuse pages under the “get help” tab
- Follow our local safe houses for events going on in our community: https://www.facebook.com/FollowSPAN AND https://www.facebook.com/safeshelterofstvrain
- LIKE OVA on FB: https://www.facebook.com/CUvictimassistance (look for more events throughout October here)
- Also remember CU has policies that prohibit this type of conduct. For more information on CU’s policies visit the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance, http://www.colorado.edu/institutionalequity/policies