Sexual assault impacts all communities, including college campuses. About 1 in 4 females, 1 in 6 males, and 1 in 2 transgender people experience some form of sexual abuse/violence in their life time. This April there are a number of campus and community events going on bringing awareness to this important issue.
The OVA, Office of Victim Assistance, is a place of support for you if you or someone you care about has recently or in the past been impacted by sexual assault/abuse/violence. OVA offers free and confidential counseling, support, and advocacy. Please call 303-492-8855 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: https://cuvictimassistance.com/issues/sexual-assault
- Free showing of The Hunting Ground, April 23rd, 6pm, CU Boulder-Center for Community, Abrams Lounge. A documentary about rape on college campuses. A panel will assemble after the screening to have conversations about resources and support in our community. Sponsored by OVA, MESA and CU Gender Justice League.
More April events and information will be posted on the OVA Facebook page!
The Gender Justice League, a student group out of Women and Gender Studies, is hosting Denim Days the week of April 20th, 2015. Denim Days originates from a 1999 Italy court case in which the National High Court overturned a rape case because the victim was wearing jeans. It was thought that jeans would have been too tight to pull off without the woman’s consent. The ruling sparked a nationwide protest where anti-rape activists wore jeans. OVA will be collaborating with the Gender Justice:
- How to respond to a friend after a sexual assault or other trauma Monday April 20th 3:30-5pm, location TBD
- Healthy Relationship Check-up Wednesday April 22, 12:30-3pm, UMC
- For more information and other events that week visit: https://www.facebook.com/WGSTatCU
- National Denim Day is April 29th, wear jeans and for more information visit: http://coloradodenimday.org/
MESA, Moving to End Sexual Assault, also has many other exciting events planned throughout April. Check out their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MESABoulder